New Mexico, USA
This itinerary is a great way to discover some of New Mexico’s beautiful landmarks in a limited amount of time. This road trip will require considerable driving, as these highlights are scattered across the immense New Mexican desert. However, you will be rewarded by some unique sights including the magical Whites Sands National Monument, and the historic landmark of Taos Pueblo.
Before you go to New Mexico
When to go:
MDT (UTC – 6)
Type A/B – 110V/60Hz
US Dollar ($)
Tipping / VAT:
Customary / Not included
Day 1: White Sands National Monument
385km/240mi – 3h45min
From Albuquerque, drive South through the New Mexico desert to reach the whimsical White Sands National Monument, and spend the afternoon having fun in the dunes. Because of the long drive, it is recommended to land in Albuquerque the day before and stay there overnight to get an early start on Day 1.
- Be mesmerized by the vast White Sands National Monument, and go up an down the pearly white dunes as you head towards the horizon.
- We bought a picnic and a cooler at the Albuquerque Whole Foods
- The closest town to White Sands National Monument is Alamogordo. Accommodations are limited, but all you need is a clean room to rest for the night.
- We recommend the Holiday Inn Express with free breakfast.
- If you are up for the extra drive stop by the Very Large Array, one of the world’s premier astronomical radio observatories, on your way to White Sands National Monument (extra 1h45 round trip – 160km/100mi).
- In the summer months, temperatures reach over 35°C/95°F. Therefore, before leaving Albuquerque, we recommend purchasing a cheap styrofoam cooler at a local grocery store and filling it with ice to keep your drinks/food cold. Most hotels will have ice machines so you can fill it up every morning.
- You will easily get disoriented, while exploring the dunes. It is therefore recommended to download an offline map in advance to track your location while venturing off of the beaten path.
- Sleighs are sold at the visitor center so that
your kidsyou can enjoy sliding down the dunes during your visit.
Go to the next page to see the next day of this itinerary. Feel free to comment below if you have any questions or want to share your recommendations with our fellow readers!